Update on the Apartment Fire at 30 N. Jacob St.
I want to thank all the people that have been contacting various churches and organizations to gather information of their immediate needs and where to send their donations.
- The 6 victims are placed for the moment with family, friends, or in motels. I have had conversations, sometimes daily, with them or churches who are lending both immediate mental and financial support.
- The immediate need is to find a room or efficiency apartment to rent. The apartment (rooming house) has been condemned and probably won’t be rebuilt until the end of next year.
- The Landlord has been extremely concerned about their situations. She has returned their November rent to them and will be issuing their security deposit after they have removed what was salvageable and signed papers that they have taken everything that is theirs.
- If we can not locate housing for them, they will need money to continue living or move to a motel until housing has been found.
- Other needs will include purchasing new cell phones if his/her phone was damaged.
- The furniture bank will be able to help furnish their new room or apartment, but monies will be needed for a small refrigerator, microwave, mattresses, etc.
- Highlanders and MJHS are sharing the cost of washing their clothes, drying, and folding them. Highlanders has the proper detergents and machines to deal with getting rid of the smoke smell.
- Some made need to replace some or all their clothes.
- At the present time, we are taking it one day at a time with them. Each time that I have been in contact with them they are able to suggest one way we can help. Two of the victims are members of local churches, the ministers and staff have working closely with the victims to see what they need now and in the future.
- After many calls to agencies to find a permanent place to live, we have come up with a big 0.
- If we cannot locate housing for them, they will need money to continue living or move to a motel until housing has been found.
- For now, we are requesting financial donations. These would be used to cover the cost of security deposits, first month’s rent, first month’s utility bills. They also will be required to get rental insurance.
- Checks should be made out to Mount Joy Helping Services with fire victims written on the memo line. Our address is PO Box 562, Mount Joy, PA 17552.